Memorials are available to everyone, whether or not the funeral took place at South Essex Crematorium. If you wish to have your loved one buried in our gardens, you do not have to have a memorial, however, as the gardens are shared, you will not be able to mark the position of the ashes.
You may find it comforting if you have a particular place to visit and we therefore offer a wide choice of memorials. We will keep a record of where the ashes are buried which means we can lay the ashes of other family members close together if you wish.
this section you will find information on the types of memorials offered
the South Essex Crematorium.
We know that Christmas is a special time when families want to bring extra tributes and Christmas wreaths. You are invited to bring your extra Christmas items from Tuesday 1 December. For safety reasons, please do not bring breakable items such as glass, china or lanterns; we will continue to remove these. We will begin the removal of all Christmas related items from the Gardens of Remembrance on Monday 11 January 2016.
Some of the items that we will clear are:
- Wreaths: natural and artificial
- Potted Christmas-type plants including poinsettias and Christmas planters
- Christmas trees
- Decorations, including tinsel, baubles, lights, cards, and balloons
- Christmas-type figures including reindeer, polar bears, snowmen, Father Christmas and nativity figures.
These items are just an example of what we will be removing. If you are unsure it is best to remove them especially if they are of sentimental value. Unfortunately, due to limited storage space we are not able to store memorabilia once it has been removed.
Please remove any items you wish to keep before 11 January.
Terms and conditions
< Back to Cremations at South Essex Crematorium
- You must ask us to check availability and for an application form if you wish to purchase a memorial. The application form must be completed clearly and in block capitals. We cannot accept responsibility for an incorrect inscription that is a result of unclear writing. We reserve the right to refuse an inscription if it could cause offence to others.
- The person who applies for the memorial will be the registered owner and we can only accept instructions about the memorial from them. You will need to keep us informed of any changes to your contact details.
- If you want someone else to act on your behalf, or transfer the ownership to another person, you must give us your permission in writing.
- If someone other that the registered owner makes payments, this does not entitle them to take over ownership of the memorial.
- The plaques and stone memorials can be cleaned with a damp cloth. Other cleaning substances may damage the plaque.
- Only the inscribed plaque is your property. Everything else remains the property of South Essex Crematorium who is not responsible for the damage or theft of any plaque. You may wish to have it insured.
- It can take 12 weeks from the date of application for a plaque to be ordered, made and fixed. We will write to you to tell you when the plaque is in position.
- The memorial lease starts from the day the plaque is fixed and is for a 10 year term unless otherwise stated. You will be asked if you wish to renew the lease before the expiry date.
- We will try to bury the ashes as close to the memorial as possible. There may be practical reasons why we cannot bury them next to the memorial itself.
- If a memorial is not renewed, we will remove the plaque and keep it for 6 months. If you want to collect the plaque after it is removed you will need to tell us.
- You can place fresh flowers in the flower troughs we have provided, or in any vase that is supplied as part of a memorial. Please ask us for a copy of our Guidelines on Memorabilia for information on placing mementoes in the Gardens of Remembrance.
- You must not fix, move or remove plaques or memorials yourself.
- You must not attach anything to the plaque or the surrounding structure or put anything around a living memorial. If you do this we may remove it and we may charge you for any damage you have caused.
- Items must not be wedged behind the plaque as it loosens the fixings and may damage the plaque.