Register to vote

Register to vote link

Who can vote

To register to vote you must be:

  • 18 years old or over
  • On the electoral register
  • A British, Irish, Commonwealth citizen or qualifying European citizen
To be on the register you must have filled in an electoral registration form; paying council tax, for example, does not mean you are registered to vote. Registration can be done online.

Support for people with learning disabilities

Below is a link to a document written by Mencap and the Cabinet office. It gives guidance on voting and registering to vote for people with learning disabilities, their support workers and families. It explains what voting is and why it is important.

Mencap Voting Document

Fraud prevention

The Council has a duty to protect the public funds it administers and may use information that you provide for the prevention and detection of fraud. 

It may also share this information with other organisations responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.

Contact details