Child performance licensing

Record details


Performance licence

Many children enjoy performing, whether in plays, films, advertising or on television and parents enjoy supporting them. However, laws exist which are designed to protect children's welfare and prevent them from being exploited. The production company must apply to the local authority on all occasions where a licence is required. The local authority is responsible for issuing performance licences and must be satisfied that:

  • the child's education will not suffer
  • his or her health will not suffer
  • the place of performance/rehearsal is satisfactory
  • the conditions of the licence will be observed

The local authority can refuse a licence if it is not satisfied the above will be met. The law applies to all children from birth until completion of compulsory school age. A licence will be needed for any performance:

  • in connection with which a charge is made
  • at a licensed premises or a registered club
  • any broadcast or any performance recorded by whatever means with a view to its use in a broadcast, or film intended for public exhibition (Except in certain circumstances)

Licences may also be issued for:

  • children employed in paid modelling work, photographic or catwalk work;
  • children working in paid/professional sport; and
  • children in entertainment - performing on stage or in televisions, film, commercials etc.

It is essential that your child obtains his/her licence before the performance takes place. Applications should be submitted with at least 3 weeks’ notice. Applications will not be accepted with less than 5 working days’ notice.

For further information please see:

Child performance and activities licensing legislation in England

or contact the Child Employment Officer, Terri Savage, on:

01708 431527/1777

Child Employment Officer
Mercury House
Mercury Gardens