Tenant and landlord disputes
All tenancy agreements involve both rights and responsibilities. It is up to both the landlord and the tenant to respect and maintain these responsibilities.
When there is a dispute between a landlord and a tenant it is possibly because one or more of these rights/responsibilities is being contravened.
If you think this could be you please do one or more of the following:
- discuss the problem with your landlord, it is often the case that mediation is not required to resolve a dispute
- read online guides to determine what your position is - owning and renting a property and rights and obligations of tenants and landlords
What we do
1. Resolving conflicts between landlords and tenants in the private rented sector over disrepair that could lead to eviction.
Disrepair advice may include complaints risen by tenants or landlords to Environment Health over:
- broken doors
- fence panels and windows
- mould and dampness
- fire safety
- drainage problems
- heating/hot water supplies
- personal/food hygiene
- electrical problems; and
- pest control including flying ants
2. Resolving relationship breakdown in the private rented sector that could lead to eviction.
Relationship breakdown which has occurred over a series of disputes between tenants - landlord. Advice can improve communication between both parties.
The officer works on rebuilding the relationship between tenant - landlord and mediates and offers specialist housing advice on the type of disputes that may arise. Concentration is on breaking down the communication barrier before enforcement action is taken by Environmental Health.
3. Resolving issues relating to evictions caused due to statutory overcrowding.
Preventing statutory overcrowding in the borough and facilitating the rehousing of tenants into suitable accommodation.
Conducts Environmental Health inspections with Environmental Health team over statutory overcrowding and ensures clients can be rehoused into suitable accommodation, makes links into Housing services if necessary. Liaises with relevant support agencies eg family mosaic if families need housing support.