Needs assessment

A needs assessment is an assessment of an adult who may need care and support from us.

Book a needs assessment


You may qualify for a Disability Facilities Grant (DFG) from your council if you’re disabled and need to make changes to your home.​

​​The grant can pay for adaptations over £1000 made to your home, so that you can continue to live there safely.

Adaptations can be large or small, for example:

  • widening doors and installing ramps
  • providing a specially adapted room in which it would be safe to leave a disabled person
  • installing a stair lift or providing a downstairs bathroom shower
  • adapting heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use
  • improving access and movement around the home to enable the disabled person to care for another person who lives in the property such as a partner or child
  • to apply for a Disability Facilities grant you will require an assessment by an Occupational Therapist

The assessment

We will ​visit you at home to assess what your disability needs are. They then recommend to the Housing Grants team what work will be considered necessary.

​We will work with you to establish if it is reasonable and practical to carry out the suggested work. In certain circumstances it may be that your needs can be best met by moving home and a grant may be available to help with some of the legal and technical costs of this.​

The maximum grant is £30,000 subject to a financial assessment.

​Charges for selling your home after work is completed

For grants over £5,000, a local land charge will be registered to your property when work is complete. 

This means that if you sell or transfer ownership within 10 years and you received a grant of £5,000, we may seek repayment of £5,000-£10,000.

Get in touch

Preferred builders list

If you are a builder and would like to be considered for inclusion on our approved contractors list to carry out disabled adaptation works in Havering please call the us on 01708 434070.

You will be required to sign our code of conduct and belong to either Construction LineFederation of Master Builders or Buy With Confidence and have valid liability insurance cover.

How would you rate this page?

Rate this page

Thank you for rating this page.
You can also choose to leave us feedback.