Register a death
If someone dies in Havering the death must be registered with us within five days unless a coroner is involved.
Please only book an appointment if you have collected the medical cause of death certificate or have been advised by the coroner to do so.
If you decide to register at any other register office in England or Wales you need to make a declaration.
To do this you must produce a medical certificate indicating the cause of death. The death certificate will be issued by post and this could cause delay in making the funeral arrangements. Remember, if you make your declaration by post you will have to include the fees for the certificates. We now run an appointment system for death registrations.
Your appointment will be held at South Essex Crematorium:
South Essex Crematorium
If you are unable to obtain access to on line bookings please ring our contact centre on 01708 433481 and follow instructions for death registration.
Who can register a death?
This can be done by
- a relative of the deceased
- any adult who was present at the death
- the person who instructs the undertaker about the funeral
Information we need at the time of registration
From the information you give us we can produce the death certificate.
You must provide the following:
- medical certificate of death issued by a doctor, unless a coroneris involved
- when and where the death happened
- the full name and usual address of the deceased person
- the person's maiden name in the case of a married woman
- the deceased person's date and place of birth
- the deceased person's occupation
- if the deceased person was a married woman or a widow, her husband's name and occupation
- whether the person had a pension or allowance from government funds, for example a disability or war pension
- if the deceased person was married, the date of birth of the surviving widower or widow
- the deceased's medical card should be handed to the registrar
Do I have to pay for this service?
There is no charge for registering a death.
The Registrar will issue you with the Social Security notification form and the Certificate for Burial or Cremation also referred to as the Green Form free of charge for use by the undertaker.
You may purchase a death certificate for a fee of £4 at the time of registration, payable by debit card.
Please note that the fee for copies of a certificate at a later date may vary.
The emergency death registration service is for people who require a burial in a timely manner (within 24 hours).
Unless it is a bank holiday weekend we provide an emergency death registration service on Sundays between 8am and 10am.
On weekends that contain a bank holiday, we provide an emergency death registration service on the bank holiday between 8am and 10am only.
You will need to contact the out of hours service by calling 01708 433999.
Tell Us Once
You may need to tell a number of different government departments and organisations about a death.
The Tell Us Once service helps you do that.