Making a benefit claim
If you are making a new claim and your Postcode starts RM14 3, RM15 5,CM13 3 or CM14 5 please check the information at the bottom of this page.
Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support can help you pay some or all of your rent or Council Tax if:
- you’re on state benefits
- you get a pension
- you're working but on a low income
- you need help paying the rent
- you're unemployed
- if you are a student who meets certain rules
You can’t claim Housing Benefit if:
- you have more than £16,000 savings, stocks and shares or other capital unless you get guarantee credit pension
- you're receiving Universal Credit
- you’re an asylum seeker or have no recourse to public funds
You can’t claim Council Tax Support if:
- You are under 18 years old
- Your capital is above £6,000
Backdating a claim
When you claim benefits we will pay from the Monday following we receive your claim.
If you need your claim backdated further the claim form will ask you about this.
If you do not request backdating you can make a request after your claim has been submitted by
If you need to apply for Housing Benefit and your job centre is in Brentwood, Grays or Thurrock you may need to make a claim for Universal Credit instead.
However this does not affect people who:
- already have an existing Housing Benefit claim
- have three or more children
- live in supported accommodation
- are of Pension Credit age.
Also only certain postcodes affected:
- CM13 3
- CM14 5
- RM14 3
- RM15 4
For help with Council Tax you must make a claim with the Local authority that you live in.
If you live in Havering you can claim Council Tax Support here.