Making a benefit claim

black and white alert tallUniversal Credit

If you are making a new claim for Housing Benefit and your Job Centre is in Romford, Brentwood, Barking, Grays or Thurrock you need to make a claim for Universal Credit instead.

You can still claim Housing Benefit if:

  • you have three or more children
  • are of Pension Credit age
  • live in Specified Accommodation (care, support and supervision provided)
  • you are in temporary accommodation (see important information below)

Apply for benefit now

Please note: If you are already in receipt of Universal Credit and are placed into temporary accommodation by Havering Housing Services, you must inform the DWP immediately as you will need to claim your housing costs through Housing Benefit. Please make your claim using the link above.

Claim Universal Credit

Council Tax Support

For financial help with your Council Tax you must make a claim with the Local authority that you live in.

If you live in Havering and

  • have a liability to pay Council Tax
  • are aged over 18
  • are working age and have less than £6,000 capital *
  • are of pensionable age and have less than £16,000 capital*

(*except those in receipt of a qualifying state benefit)

Claim Council Tax Support here

How would you rate this page?

Rate this page

Thank you for rating this page.
You can also choose to leave us feedback.