EU exit

A Brexit deal has been agreed in principle with the EU. Both the UK and the EU need to approve and sign the withdrawal agreement.

They will then start to negotiate new arrangements. There would be a transition period to prepare for new rules.

The UK could still leave with no deal if the withdrawal agreement is not approved by 31 January 2020, or at the end of a transition period.

Find out what you, your family, or your business need to do if the UK leaves the EU with no deal on the website.

Keeping up to date

The Government publishes guidance on the UK’s EU Exit online. You can sign up to email updates to receive the latest information.

EU Citizens’ rights

If you are an EU citizen, then the Settlement Scheme allows you and your close family members to continue to live and work in the UK after EU Exit. Registration under the scheme will mean that you will remain eligible for: 

  • public services, such as healthcare and schools
  • public funds and pensions
  • British citizenship, if you want to apply and meet the requirements

You can find out if you should use the scheme using an online tool. You can sign up for email updates online.

Irish citizens do not need to apply under the Settlement scheme. The Government has published guidance on rights of Irish citizens under the Common Travel Area, which are not dependent on UK’s future relationship with the EU. 

Guidance on the settlement scheme is available online in all EU languages. A partnership pack is available for community leaders to promote the settlement scheme.

EEA EFTA states and Swiss citizens’ rights

The Government has announced that it has reached agreements on the rights of Swiss Citizens and Citizens of Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein which will also allow them to use the settlement scheme. These agreements are subject to ratification. The policy paper includes a statement on EFTA citizens' rights in the event of no deal.

Online guidance is provided at Telephone guidance is available from the EU Settlement Resolution Centre on 0300 123 7379.

Landlords: There will be no changes to the right to rent for EU, EEA and Swiss citizens and their family members living in the UK until 31 December 2020 if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

You should continue to follow current Home Office guidance on how to check a tenant’s right to rent.


If the Withdrawal Act is ratified, then UK Citizens will be able to continue to travel to the EU states on the same basis as now until the end of December 2020. In the event of no deal, points to consider for travel to EU/ EEA are:

Driving in the UK

EU and EEA driving licence holders will not require an International Driving Permit and can continue to use an EU/EEA car or motorcycle licence for up to 3 years after becoming resident or until the age of 70.

Businesses and employers

An Employer Toolkit is available to explain the EU settlement scheme to employees. The toolkit contains a range of ready to use leaflets and posters.

There will be no change to the way EU, EEA and Swiss citizens prove their right to work until 1 January 2021. This remains the same if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

Guidance materials are available that explain how to manage importing and exporting in the case of a no deal Brexit. The contents cover customs, excise, VAT and regulatory changes. No-deal technical notices provide guidance on more specialist areas. An online tool is available to identify information that is most relevant to your business.

GDPR personal data when we leave the EU

In the event of no deal there are potential impacts on international transfers of personal data, or for data hosted in the EEA. The ICO provides guidance on its website.

How would you rate this page?

Rate this page

Thank you for rating this page.
You can also choose to leave us feedback.