Recycling batteries and electronics
Batteries are a particularly hazardous waste so it is very important to recycle them and not put them in the rubbish (black sack).
Put your batteries in a small carrier or sandwich bag and leave it by your black rubbish and orange recycling sacks on your collection day.
Please note: This service is not available to residents living in flats that put their rubbish in communal bins.
You can also recycle your household batteries in Romford at the Mercury House and Town Hall receptions, and at some Havering libraries.
Alternatively, you can take your household batteries to Gerpins Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre in Upminster or to a local supermarket.
Please note that we cannot accept:
- lithium batteries
- batteries with trailing wires
- corroded batteries
- car or industrial batteries (please take those to Gerpins Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre)
Recycle your small electrical items
Some waste electrical items contain materials which are hazardous such as cadmium, lead and mercury. Therefore it is really important to collect waste electrical items separately and recycle them rather then put them in the rubbish (black sack).
Put your small waste electrical items into a securely tied carrier bag and place it next to your orange recycling sack on your day of collection.
In the bag placed by your orange sack you can recycle:
- small kitchen appliances (such as kettles, toasters, irons)
- hair dryers, straighteners and clippers
- clocks, watches, calculators and torches
- remote controls, mobile phones, cameras and chargers
- phone and laptop batteries
- radios, mini hi-fis, CD and MP3 players
- small electronic toys (such as remote control cars)
- hand power tools, smoke detectors and thermostats
Restart your electronics
Even better than recycling is to repair and reuse your electrical items. We run a series of Havering Restarter Workshops where you get the opportunity to fix your waste electrical items for free.
For other items why not check our recycling locator. You can enter specific items to see where you can recycle them.