General conditions of employment
All applicants are asked to read these details before completing the application form.
- the application form itself must be completed in full - the use of a CV is acceptable only as a supplement to this.
- please complete the form in full. Do not disregard any section of it. The form should be typed or hand-written. You can complete an application form online.
- candidates who are already employed by the Council should give their current line manager as their referee.
- candidates are advised that unless they indicate otherwise, references may be taken up before interview for those who are shortlisted for interview.
- a candidate for appointment must disclose any relationship to a Councillor or officer of the Council.
- canvassing either directly or indirectly will disqualify you from consideration for the role.
Conditions of service
Appointments are subject to:
- The appropriate National Conditions of Service and any local conditions which may be applied by the Council from time to time
- A probationary period of six months is applicable to all new entrants to the London Borough of Havering. This applies even if they have had previous continuous local government service with another local authority
- The provisions of the Local Government Superannuation Act 1972 and Local Government Superannuation Regulations 1986 are applicable. You must therefore enter on the form the fullest possible details of your present and previous public service appointments
- At least one month's notice in writing to be given on either side (any time). The period may be longer in the case of more senior posts on the Council's establishment
All appointments to the Council's staff are subject to a satisfactory medical report from the Medical Officer for the Council's Occupational Health Section. In this respect you will (if offered an appointment) be asked to complete a medical questionnaire. You should not give notice to your present employer until you have been informed in writing that the Medical Officer has issued a satisfactory medical report.
Trade Union membership
The Council supports the system of collective bargaining in every way and believes in the principle of solving industrial relations problems by discussion and agreement.
The Council is associated with other local authorities represented on the national and provincial Councils dealing with local authorities services. It is equally sensible for their employees to be in membership of a Trade Union representing them on the appropriate negotiating body and they are encouraged to do so.
Expenses in connection with interviews
Candidates attending the interview may be paid expenses in accordance with the scale laid down by the National Joint Council. Expenses will not be paid until the conclusion of the interview and in the event of a candidate withdrawing his/her application or refusing the offer of an appointment on grounds which in the opinion of the interviewing Officers are inadequate, no expenses will be paid. The expenses of the candidate appointed to a post will not be paid until he/she takes up duty with the Council.
Transfer of superannuation agreements
In view of the complexity of the superannuation transfer arrangements, candidates wishing to transfer existing superannuation rights to this borough (particularly for employees in public services other than local government, or in the private sector) are advised to contact Pensions, on 01708 432274.
Payment by bank credit transfer
All newly appointed officers are required to accept payment of salary by a credit transfer and for this purpose a bank or building society account is required.
People with disabilities
Applicants are requested to indicate in the appropriate section of the application form whether they consider that they have a disability. It is emphasised that this information is required for statistical purposes only, and that it is the Council's policy to give full and fair consideration to applications for employment by disabled people, having regard to their aptitudes and abilities.
Any disabled applicants meeting the essential criteria set out in the person profile for a job will be guaranteed an interview. Disabled employees are given the same opportunity as other employees for training, career development and promotion.
Equal opportunities monitoring
The enclosed form should be completed and returned with your application. The information is only for the purpose of monitoring and will not be used in the selection process.
You should declare any business, financial and/or political interests which might conflict with the duties or responsibilities of this post.
Acknowledgement of application
It is not the Council's policy to acknowledge receipt of applications.
In normal circumstances, every effort is made to arrange interviews within four to six weeks of the closing date for the receipt of applications. If you have not been contacted within this period, you should assume that your application has been unsuccessful.
Car loan scheme
Loans may be available to officers for the purchase of motor cars, up to a maximum figure, adjusted from time to time in line with inflation. These loans are repayable over periods of up to five years and are advanced at the prevailing Green Book interest rate. Details of the loan scheme are available from your Personnel Section.