Making a benefit claim
You can still claim Housing Benefit if:
- are of Pension Credit age
- live in Specified Accommodation (care, support and supervision provided)
- you are in temporary accommodation
- you are entitled to (or have been within the last month) Income Support, income related Employment and Support Allowance, income based Jobseekers Allowance or Housing Benefit that includes a Severe Disability Premium
If none of the above apply to you and you need help with your rent, you will need to claim Universal Credit
Please note: If you are already in receipt of Universal Credit and are placed into temporary accommodation by Havering Housing Services, you must inform the DWP immediately as you will need to claim your housing costs through Housing Benefit. Please make your claim using the Housing Benefit link above.
Council Tax Support
For financial help with your Council Tax you must make a claim with the Local authority that you live in.
If you live in Havering and
- have a liability to pay Council Tax
- are aged over 18
- are working age and have less than £6,000 capital *
- are of pensionable age and have less than £16,000 capital*
- if you are single, of pensionable age (do not qualify for Council Tax Support) and have other adults on a low income living with you
(*except those in receipt of a qualifying state benefit)
We may be able to backdate your housing benefit and council tax support if you can show that you have had good cause for not making your claim at an earlier date.
You can only make a backdating claim if you have an existing Housing Benefit claim or have made a new application for benefits.