Making a benefit claim

Universal Credit

If you are making a new claim for Housing Benefit and your Job Centre is in Romford, Brentwood, Barking, Grays or Thurrock you need to make a claim for Universal Credit instead.

Housing Benefit

You can still claim Housing Benefit if:

  • are of Pension Credit age
  • live in Specified Accommodation (care, support and supervision provided)
  • you are in temporary accommodation
  • you are entitled to (or have been within the last month) Income Support, income related Employment and Support Allowance, income based Jobseekers Allowance or Housing Benefit that includes a Severe Disability Premium

Apply for Housing Benefit now

If none of the above apply to you and you need help with your rent, you will need to claim Universal Credit

Claim Universal Credit

Please note: If you are already in receipt of Universal Credit and are placed into temporary accommodation by Havering Housing Services, you must inform the DWP immediately as you will need to claim your housing costs through Housing Benefit. Please make your claim using the Housing Benefit link above.

Council Tax Support

For financial help with your Council Tax you must make a claim with the Local authority that you live in.

If you live in Havering and

  • have a liability to pay Council Tax
  • are aged over 18
  • are working age and have less than £6,000 capital *
  • are of pensionable age and have less than £16,000 capital*
  • if you are single, of pensionable age (do not qualify for Council Tax Support) and have other adults on a low income living with you

(*except those in receipt of a qualifying state benefit)

Claim Council Tax Support here

The amount of Council Tax Support you get is based on your income and age.

If you are of pensionable age, Council Tax Support can be any amount up to 100 per cent of your Council Tax liability.

Working age people with disabilities can have their Council Tax reduced by up to 80 per cent.

For everyone else, Council Tax Support can be reduced by up to 75 percent.

For information about the Council Tax Support Scheme changes for 2019, please see the Havering local council tax support scheme documents.

Backdated claim for housing benefit and council tax support

We may be able to backdate your housing benefit and council tax support if you can show that you have had good cause for not making your claim at an earlier date.

You can only make a backdating claim if you have an existing Housing Benefit claim or have made a new application for benefits.

Make a backdated claim for housing benefit and council tax support

How would you rate this page?

Rate this page

Thank you for rating this page.
You can also choose to leave us feedback.