Guidance for non-EEA and non-EU nationals

​Getting married in England and Wales

If you and/or your fiancé(e) is subject to immigration control, that is, not a citizen of Switzerland or one of the EEA countries,  then you may be affected by the Asylum and Immigration (Treatment of Claimants) Act 2004 unless you have a 'Certificate of Entitlement to Right of Abode'.

All persons under immigration control who intend to marry in England and Wales after civil preliminaries (giving notices) must give their notice of intention to marry at a designated register office (Havering Register Office is designated).

They must be accompanied by the person they wish to marry who must also give notice at the same time.

Designated register offices in London

For a full list of the 76 designated register offices in England and Wales, please see the GOV.UK website.

Please note, any person wishing to come into the UK to marry will still need to obtain the correct entry clearance ('Visit for marriage' visa or 'Settlement' visa if you are intending to settle in the UK after marriage) before they travel to the UK to marry.

Please see the Home Office website for further information.

Non-European Union nationals

If you are a Non-EU citizen and do not live within the London Borough of Havering, you will need to call us on 01708 433481 to book your appointment.

How would you rate this page?

Rate this page

Thank you for rating this page.
You can also choose to leave us feedback.