Help with money and work

Help with money

Caring for someone can affect you financially as you may lose earnings or have to spend your own money to care for people.

The Money Advice Service website has advice on the types of benefits you could claim and how to claim them.

Find out more about Carer's benefits

It might also be worth finding out if you are entitled to any benefits in your own right by completing Turn2Us's benefits calculator.

Fill out the benefits calculator

Also don't forget that you may be able to get a discount on Council tax if you live with someone with a disability, if the property has been adjusted substantially due to a person's disability or if the person you care for lives in an annexe to your property.

Read about Council tax reductions

Blue badges can be helpful when caring for people but they can also sometimes allow free parking

Find out about Blue badges

Help with work

You don’t need to tell your employers that you are a carer but if you do then they have to offer you certain rights, such as:

Find out more about carer's rights at work

How would you rate this page?

Rate this page

Thank you for rating this page.
You can also choose to leave us feedback.