Changes to council services and advice and support we can provide is available on our dedicated coronavirus information page. Go to our coronavirus information page

Covid 19 information for social care providers

Information for care providers, direct payment recipients and personal assistants. View the information

Appointees and deputies


If someone cannot manage their finances an appointee can do it for them.

This normally includes managing their benefits.

They then use this money for the person on their behalf and in their best interests.

An appointee can be:

  • someone you know
  • an organisation eg a solicitor
  • the Council

Find out more about appointees and how to become an appointee

Find a solicitor

There’s a different process for being an appointee for tax credits.

If you are already an appointee and want to stop there is information at the bottom of the website on how to do this.

The Council as your appointee

Normally the Council is only someone’s appointee if there is no one else available.

If you feel you need us to be your appointee, you will need to speak to your social worker. If you don’t have a social worker, or are concerned about someone else maybe needing an appointee please complete our ask adult social care online form or call 01708 432000.

There is no charge if the Council is someone’s appointee.


Family and friends can also become a deputy.

This means they also make decisions about your medical treatment and organise your finances.

There is more information on the Gov.UK website.

The Council as your deputy

The Council can also become your deputy. Normally the Council will be your appointee first.

There is a charge and ongoing fee if the Council is your deputy.

To find out more about the Council becoming your appointee please complete our ask adult social care online form or call 01708 432000.


How would you rate this page?

Rate this page

Thank you for rating this page.
You can also choose to leave us feedback.