Gritting and snow clearing
Gritting of our roads is based on a priority system. Roads on the priority one routes are done first and, based on time and the conditions, we move on to the priority two roads.
Use our map to find priority one gritting routes near you
To use the map to view the priority one gritting routes please follow these instructions.
- Enter a postcode or street name and select your address to get the map to zoom in on your selected location.
- Go to the menu on the left of the page and look for 'Streetcare' in the 'Legend' section.
- Tick the box next to 'Streetcare'.
- Click on the + to expand the 'Streetcare' section.
- Make sure the box 'Winter service gritting routes' is ticked.
- Click on the + to expand the 'Winter service gritting routes' section.
- Tick or untick the routes you want to see e.g. 'Route 2'.
- Zoom in and out of the main map to see where the routes you have selected go to and from.
Please note: All four routes on the map make up the priority one gritting for Havering.
You can see all the roads in the priority one and two routes in our gritting route document.
How we decide where and when to grit
Gritting (salting) the road is likely when road temperatures are at or below 1°C, and moisture is present that could form ice.
Frost does not usually affect road surfaces until late evening or early morning so whenever possible gritting is carried out overnight and outside periods where road traffic is heavy.
Great care is taken when applying salt to ensure that the appropriate rates of spread are used. Please remember to keep a safe distance if following a gritter and take care when overtaking.
It is not possible cover all routes at all times so priority roads and pavements will be gritted first.
The prioritising takes into account bin collection routes and these are done the day before the collection starts.
Should it snow we make every effort to clear it from roads, footpaths, walkways and bridges.
Clearing snow yourself
Please do not use the salt bins by the side of the roads. These are for our crews to use.
For more information how to clear snow yourself visit GOV.UK.
Roads in Havering gritted by Transport for London
The A12, A127 and A13 are gritted by Transport for London.