Taxi discount card
The Taxi Card scheme allows people with disabilities to use black cabs at reduced fares. You must be unable to use public transport because of a permanent disability.
The purpose of the Taxi Card scheme provides transport for those who are chronically disabled so they can make social trips out.
It must not be used to provide transport for hospital or clinic appointments.
All journeys made must either start or finish in Havering.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible, you must be in receipt of one of the following:
- receive the Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living allowance
- receive 8 points or more for the moving around activity component of PIP (Personal Independence Payment)
- be registered severely sight impaired / blind
- receive a War Pension Mobility Supplement
If you do not have any of the above, but have significant difficulties, you can still apply for the Taxi Card, but your application form will be assessed by us to check the eligibility. For further information on eligibility visit the London Taxicard scheme website.
To join the scheme you must:
- be able to use ordinary black taxis
- have access to a telephone or have internet access (to book taxis)
- be resident in one of the participating London boroughs
Apply for a Taxi Card
- read the Taxi card guidance notes
- download and complete the Taxi card application form (London Councils form)
- fill the Taxi Card additional information form online in then print and send it with the application form to London Councils address: London Council Taxicard Section, 591/2 Southwark Street, London, SE1 0AL
The scheme is not available to people who suffer from temporary disabilities such as a broken leg.
If you already have a Freedom Pass
You can surrender your Freedom Pass and use the Taxi Card only for 104 trips a year or keep your Freedom Pass and get a maximum of 36 Taxi Card trips.