Apply for planning pre-application advice
If you have not read the previous pages please check to see what kind of advice is best for you.
Use this service to apply for planning pre-application advice. If you are using an agent, they should apply and pay on your behalf.
Most people complete this form in about 15 minutes and you will need to have payment ready.
What you need to know
We can only give advice based on the information submitted with your application. Please give us much detail as you can so we can give you the best advice possible about your development proposal.
The service is non-refundable and all applications must be submitted online.
Before you start
Make sure you have the following.
- An email address and phone number so we can contact you
- A credit or debit card to make your payment. All card types are accepted, except American Express.
- Essential details about your development proposal to attach to your application. Please make sure your supporting documents are clearly named before you upload them. Essential details are:
- an overview of your proposal
- a site location address
- a site location plan
- any relevant photos and drawings of the site, buildings and surroundings
- Please note we are unable to offer telephone advice for properties that are in a conservation area/greenbelt or listed buildings. You can however use our written advice service.
What is not covered by the planning pre-application advice service?
We cannot tell you if a development proposal requires planning permission. Check if your development proposal requires permission on The Planning Portal website.
If you are still unclear whether you need planning permission or not, you could apply for a Certificate of Lawfulness. A Certificate of Lawfulness will give you a binding decision from us.
We do not discuss complaints about previous planning decisions.
We cannot overturn previous planning decisions.