The electoral register
The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections.
The register is used for electoral purposes, such as making sure only eligible people can vote.
It is also used for other limited purposes specified in law, such as:
- detecting crime (for example fraud)
- calling people for jury service
- checking credit applications
We keep two registers.
- The electoral register, sometimes referred to as the full register.
- The open register, sometimes referred to as the edited register.