Contacting the Ombudsman

If you would like either the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman or the Housing Ombudsman (depending on the nature of your complaint) to consider your case, they can be contacted using the details below:

The Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman

Telephone: 0300 061 0614
Text ‘call back’ to 0762 481 1595

Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm (except public holidays)

The Ombudsman expects you to have given the Council a chance to deal with your complaint, before you contact them.  If you have not heard from us within a reasonable time, they may decide to look into your complaint anyway.  This is usually 12 weeks but can be longer for social care complaints that follow a statutory process.

The Ombudsman will investigate a complaint in a fair and independent way – they do not take sides.  It is a free service.

The Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman is the final stage for complaints about councils and some other organisations providing local public services.  It also investigates complaints about all adult social care providers (including care homes and home care agencies) for people who self-fund their care.

The Housing Ombudsman Service
Telephone: 0300 111 3000

Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 9.15am to 5.15pm (except public holidays)

The Housing Ombudsman will work with you and your landlord (the Council) to resolve your dispute under their early resolution procedure. For example they can use their experience to make suggestions to the landlord and/or the resident if they believe there is a way to resolve the complaint

They will also carry out an investigation; they usually only do this for those complaints where the Ombudsman decides an investigation is proportionate to the circumstances and evidence they have, for example complex complaints involving many issues.

Decisions from Ombudsman

View previous Ombudsman decisions

How would you rate this page?

Rate this page

Thank you for rating this page.
You can also choose to leave us feedback.