Adults, children and young people's services complaints procedure
Children and young peoples complaint procedure
You have a right to have your complaint investigated and to receive a full and prompt reply.
Should you need help with the complaints process we will always try to find someone to support and assist you.
Complaints can be about any aspect of Children and Young People’s Services.
We will acknowledge your complaint within 3 working days.
Stage 1 - local resolution
Your complaint will be investigated by the relevant manager.
You will receive a response within 10 working days. A further 10 days will be added for more complex complaints or more if an advocate is required.
If you remain unhappy with the investigation and response to your complaint, you have the right to take your complaint to Stage 2 within 20 working days.
Stage 2 - formal investigation
Your complaint will be investigated (Independent of the service provider)and you will receive a response within 25 working days, and again if the case is complex you may be given an extension of 65 working days.
If you are unhappy with the investigation and/or the recommendations of the complaint, you have the right to request that your complaint is reviewed by a hearings panel within 20 working days.
Stage 3 - complaint review
The Panel would consist of an independent chairperson and two independent members who will meet with you and give you an opportunity to put forward your views.
The Panel will review the complaint process within 30 working days of the complainants request to go to Stage 3.
You will receive a letter of findings and recommendations from the chairperson of the panel within 5 working days.
You will then be given a copy of the minutes and receive a final response from the Group Director within 15 working days.
Adult social care complaint procedure
When you make a formal complaint we will contact you to ensure that we understand fully. Where possible, we will also discuss what you would like to happen to help resolve your complaint.
- We will aim to acknowledge your complaint within 3 working days.
- Your complaint will be assessed to decide how it will be handled. A member of the Social Care Complaints Team will discuss and agree this with you.
- We will aim to respond to your complaint within 10 – 20 working days.
- If your complaint involves another agency, e.g. health, home care services or residential/nursing home we will discuss this with you and the relevant agency to agree how the complaint should be handled. We will aim to respond within 25 working days.
- If your complaint is assessed as requiring an independent investigation, this will be discussed and agreed with you. We will aim to respond within 25 – 65 working days.
- Mediation may be considered as a way to help resolve your complaint and this will be discussed with you if appropriate.
- We will keep you informed about the progress of your complaint and discuss any changes to the handling of your complaint with you.
The Adult Social Care complaints policy can be viewed online.