Havering Council systems maintenance on Sunday 20 January

Online payments, planning searches, phones and some of our other systems will experience some disruption between 8am and 12noon on Sunday 20 January while we carry out essential maintenance. Please do try again after 12noon if you experience issues. Apologies for the inconvenience.

How to help rough sleepers in the cold weather

Because of the current low temperatures the Severe Weather Emergency Protocol is now in place to ensure that no one needs to sleep on Havering’s streets during the cold spell. If you spot someone sleeping rough call 01708 432824, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. After 5pm please call 01708 433999. You can also visit StreetLink to help

Private rented tenancies

Tenancies with private landlords are usually assured short hold tenancies and will last for a minimum period of six months.

However, if the landlord is living at the property with you or you share the property with other people you may only have a license agreement.

The landlord should provide you with a copy of the written agreement outlining yours and the Landlord's responsibilities.


Private landlords have legal responsibilities with regards to how the property is maintained - for example they must arrange a gas safety check every 12 months and they must maintain the structure of the property.

It is the Tenant's responsibility to pay their rent on time and take reasonable care of the property.

There are also legal rules regarding how the agreement can be ended.

How would you rate this page?

Rate this page

Thank you for rating this page.
You can also choose to leave us feedback.