Gas safety certificates

Landlords have specific legal responsibilities to their tenants when it comes to gas safety.

​Landlords are responsible for the safety of their tenants. Landlords' duties apply to a wide range of accommodation which includes:

  • homes provided for rent by the Council, housing associations, private sector landlords, housing co-operatives, hostels
  • rooms let in bedsit accommodation, private households, bed and breakfast accommodation and hotels rented holiday accommodation such as chalets, cottages and flats
  • ​caravans and narrow boats on inland waterways

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 deal with landlord's duties to make sure gas appliances, fittings and flues provided for tenants are safe.

Landlord's responsibilities

If you rent a property with gas appliances your landlord has three main responsibilities:

  • pipework, appliances and flues must be maintained in a safe condition. Gas appliances should be serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. If these are not available it is recommended that they are serviced annually unless advised ​​otherwise by a Gas Safe registered​ engineer
  • gas safety checks: a 12 monthly gas safety check must be carried out on every gas appliance/flue. A gas safety check will make sure gas fittings and appliances are safe to use
  • record: landlords must provide their tenants with a record of the annual gas safety within 28 days of the check being completed or to new tenants before they move in. Landlords must keep copies of the gas safety record for two years

All installation, maintenance and safety checks need to be carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

If a tenant has their own gas appliance not provided by the landlord, then your landlord is responsible for the maintenance of the gas pipework but not for the actual appliance.

Your landlord should also make sure that tenants know where to turn off the gas and what to do in the event of a gas emergency.

Landlords must be capable of producing copies of gas safety certificates when required.

Tenants responsibilities

If you are a tenant you should allow your landlord access for any maintenance or safety check work to be carried out.

Your landlord has to take ‘all reasonable steps’ to ensure this work is carried out, and this may involve your landlord giving written notice to you requesting access, and explaining the reason.

It is in your own interest to allow access for these checks to be done.

Even if a property is only rented for a short period of time, your landlord still has specific duties for gas safety.

Visit the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) website for more information about landlords' responsibility for gas safety.


How would you rate this page?

Rate this page

Thank you for rating this page.
You can also choose to leave us feedback.