Havering Council systems maintenance on Sunday 20 January

Online payments, planning searches, phones and some of our other systems will experience some disruption between 8am and 12noon on Sunday 20 January while we carry out essential maintenance. Please do try again after 12noon if you experience issues. Apologies for the inconvenience.

How to help rough sleepers in the cold weather

Because of the current low temperatures the Severe Weather Emergency Protocol is now in place to ensure that no one needs to sleep on Havering’s streets during the cold spell. If you spot someone sleeping rough call 01708 432824, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. After 5pm please call 01708 433999. You can also visit StreetLink to help


Licensing exemptions

In some cases properties maybe exempt from the requirements of licensing under part 2 of the Housing Act. The following list gives those exemptions.

  • Buildings controlled or managed by a Local Housing Authority
  • Buildings controlled or managed by registered social landlords and housing providers
  • Buildings controlled or managed by police
  • Buildings controlled or managed by fire brigade
  • Buildings controlled or managed by Health Service Body
  • Buildings regulated by other enactments
  • Certain university/college accommodation occupied by students
  • Buildings occupied by religious communities (except section 257 HMO’s)
  • Any building occupied by two persons who form two households

If in doubt contact us, and we will supply you with an exemption certificate to complete.

Temporary exemptions

You may be eligible for a three month temporary exemption if:

  • the property is in the process of being sold
  • the owner has given the tenants notice and the property will be sold
  • the owner of the property is moving into the property
  • the property is in the process of being converted into a commercial premises
  • a licence holder has died the licence is terminated and a temporary exemption notice may be issued

If you think that your property may fall under one of the above criteria, you must make a temporary exemption application. Please be sure to include evidence, which will be reviewed at the council’s discretion and may be refused.

Apply for a temporary exemption

How would you rate this page?

Rate this page

Thank you for rating this page.
You can also choose to leave us feedback.