Stopping smoking saves lives
Stop smoking support service for Havering residents
Smoking is the leading cause of preventable illness and premature death, killing around 64,000 people in England in 2019. In Havering over 1,400 people were admitted into hospital due to smoking. (Fingertips)
It can be hard to quit smoking and so we offer a free community pharmacy stop smoking support service in Havering for residents.
If you want to quit smoking you will receive a 12 week programme with up to 6 free face to face consultations and up to 6 weeks of free nicotine replacement products to help you make the quit.
The service is available at the following pharmacies in Havering.
- Crescent Pharmacy, 65 Masefield Crescent, Harold Hill RM3 7PB
- Day Lewis Pharmacy, Harold Hill Health Centre, Gooshays Drive, Harold Hill RM3 9LB
- Mim Pharmacy, 118 North Street, Romford RM1 1DL
- Asvacare Ltd Pharmacy, 197 Rush Green Road, Romford RM7 0JR
- WH Burdess Chemist, 178 Mawney Rd, Romford RM7 8BU
- Orchard Village Pharmacy, Mick Fury House, Lowen Road, Rainham RM13 8HT
- Williams Dispensing Chemist, 139A Wennington Road, Rainham RM13 9TR
Benefits of quitting
Stopping smoking is one of the best things you can do to improve your health and wellbeing.
How it will help you
- Save money
- Look better / feel fitter
- Feel better / enjoy the taste of food / improve your circulation
- Protect your family and friends
- Reduce your chances of getting cancer
Just pop in to one of these pharmacies and make an appointment with the pharmacist.
The sooner you book that first appointment, the sooner you start your quit journey and can start seeing the benefits.
Did you know, you are three times more likely to successfully quit when you have support such as behaviour support with medication combined than using willpower alone.
Other services available
Specialist Stop Smoking Service for pregnant women and members of their household
Protecting your baby from tobacco smoke is one of the best things you can do to give your child a healthy start in life.
Specialist support to help you or a member of your household quit is available through the Havering Stop Smoking Service for Pregnant Women.
Call 020 8724 8018, or self-refer online by completing a registration form.
Reasons to stop smoking when pregnant
- You're doing the best thing for your baby's health
- The chances of having a miscarriage or still birth are reduced
- You'll minimise the risk of cot death (SIDS)
- Your baby is less likely to be born early (premature) or underweight
- Stopping smoking will help your baby in later life – some people suffer from asthma and other serious illnesses if their mother smoked while pregnant
- Your child(ren) will be less likely to become a smoker/smokers
If you don’t want to join the new local service then there are lots of websites, apps and other resources out there to help you quit, including the Stop Smoking London support service which you can access by telephone or website.
Stop Smoking London helpline
0300 123 1044
You can also visit the Stop Smoking London website to learn more about the reasons you smoke - and how you can use this to make a personalised quit plan.
Switching to vaping
There is growing evidence that e-cigarettes can help people stop smoking. Using an e-cigarette can help you manage your nicotine cravings.
To get the best out of it, make sure you're using it as much as you need to and with the right strength of nicotine in your e-liquid.
You won't get the full benefit from vaping unless you stop smoking cigarettes completely.
You can get advice from specialist vape shops or your local stop smoking service.
The Independent British Vape Trade Association has details of local registered retailers.
Get more information about e-cigarettes on the NHS website.