Advice for parents

What do I look out for if I think my child is being sexually exploited?

As a parent or carer you can look out for the warning signs below

  • going missing for periods of time or regularly coming home late
  • regularly missing school or not taking part in education
  • appearing with unexplained gifts or new possessions (often new mobile phones or SIM cards)
  • having older boyfriends or girlfriends
  • suffering from sexually transmitted infections
  • mood swings or changes in emotional wellbeing
  • drug and alcohol misuse
  • displaying inappropriate sexualised behaviour.

Help and Advice

  • ​seek professional advice to protect your child
  • keep your child safe when they are online or using a mobile phone
  • ensure that professionals treat your child as a victim of child abuse
  • get agencies to work together to support your child and your family
  • educate your child around healthy and unhealthy relationships

Who do I contact?

Sexual Exploitation is a form of sexual abuse and is therefore taken very seriously by the Council's Children's Service and the Police who are they two key local agencies with responsibilities to protect your child and investigate suspected cases of sexual exploitation.

Report it

  • Call the Council's Children's services on 01708 433222
  • Out of hours - Emergency Duty team on 01708 433999
  • Emergencies - Police on 999
  • Email

There are many useful websites and resources available to help parents and young people.

How would you rate this page?

Rate this page

Thank you for rating this page.
You can also choose to leave us feedback.