Top tips to #StaySafe
- Remember to lock your doors and windows at night and when leaving your home unattended.
- Ensure your home is well-lit. A dark house is a green light for burglars.
- Keep presents safe. Do not store presents in sheds or garages, and make sure of sight from outside.
- Don’t store expensive gifts in sheds and garages.
- Check and set your house alarm.
- Dispose of wrapping and packaging carefully – don’t advertise your new goods
- Take note of serial numbers on your new goods. You can register them with the UK National Property register,
- Use a UV pen to mark your postcode and door number on new items.
- Don’t leave gifts in the boot of your car.
- Consider using a purse chain– these chains attach to purses and handbags and stop pickpockets when shopping
- Stick together – go shopping with a friend.
- Don’t walk home alone late at night – tell friends or family where you are and consider using a taxi.
The Metropolitan Police have created a series of books and videos to explain some of the most common scams and how to avoid falling victim to them.