Information for Ukrainians arriving in Havering

Welcome guide

View the welcome guide for Ukrainians arriving in the UK

This guide for Ukrainians arriving in the UK covers what you need to know in your first few days, getting used to life in the UK including how to find a home, access essential public services, healthcare, find work and childcare and education services.

It also includes specific information for those arriving on the Homes for Ukraine scheme.

Financial support and finding a job

Ukrainian guests are entitled to a one off £200 payment to help with immediate costs. Full details of eligibility for this payment (e.g. payments for children and babies) are being decided by the Government.

Please note if you have arrived in the UK with a Ukrainian Family Visa, you are not entitled to the £200 payment.

You are entitled to work while you are living in the UK. Before you can start work, you need to apply for a National Insurance number.

If you are unable to find a job straight away, or need additional financial support, you are eligible to apply for benefits immediately.

Find out what work support is available

A local Jobcentre Plus, can also help you find employment and assess you for financial benefits.

Havering Adult College offers a range of courses allowing you to learn and develop a wide range of skills including English as a second language classes

Education and support for children

Any child under 18 will be entitled to enrol in a local school. You will receive support to enrol in a school.

Find out more information about the in-year school admissions process

The Havering Family Information Services Directory contains information on a range of services, organisations and activities for children, young people, adults, families/carers and professionals.

Special needs

You will receive support to enrol in a school. Any family with a child who has a disability or special educational needs will be supported to help you access support available.


You will have access to free health care while in the UK, via the local National Health Service (NHS).

Accessing healthcare

The first thing you should do is register with a local GP

GP surgeries are usually the first contact if you have a health problem. They can treat many conditions and give health advice.

They can also refer you to other NHS services, including mental health.

Mental health and wellbeing support services are available to you locally.

If you have serious concerns about your mental health you should contact your GP.

Get a Covid 19 vaccine

Everyone living in the UK aged 12 and over, and some children aged 5 to 11, can get a 1st and 2nd dose of the Covid 19 vaccine.

People aged 16 and over, and some children aged 12 to 15, can also get a booster dose.

Find out how to get a Covid 19 vaccine

Support for vulnerable adults

Adult Social Care can help people who are elderly or have disabilities.

They can also help you connect with a Local Area Coordinator or Here to Help Havering who may be able to provide more appropriate support.

They can also help you if you look after someone else.

When you contact Adult Social Care, they will carry out an assessment to find out what you need. They will also carry out a financial assessment to see if you have to pay anything.

Adult Social Care can help arrange for someone to come into your home to look after you. They can also arrange for a place in a care home. They can get specialist equipment to help you live in your home.

They can give support and advice to people with physical or learning disabilities, or people with sensory disabilities.

Find out more about Havering Adult Social Care

Police and safety

You can contact the Police by calling 101 (non-emergency) or 999 (emergency).

There is support available if you need help as a:

How would you rate this page?

Rate this page

Thank you for rating this page.
You can also choose to leave us feedback.