Governance is having:
- good decision-making processes
- robust policies and practices
- meeting procedures
- service quality protocols
- officer and trustee conduct
- role clarification
- consultation and monitoring procedures
- good working relationships
The National Council for Voluntary Organisations (NCVO) is the largest umbrella body for the voluntary and community sector in England.
We register and regulate charities in England and Wales, to ensure that the public can support charities with confidence. Guidance for trustees and charity advisers.
The Havering Compact provides a framework governing how the council and the sector should work together.
Directory of Social Change
An independent charity with a vision of an independent voluntary sector at the heart of social change.
Community Matters provides help and support to not for profit organisations across the UK.
Community Interest Company
Comprehensive information for people who want to form a community interest company (CIC)
The UK body for social enterprise - business with a social or environmental mission
Setting up a social enterprise
Guidance to set up a business that has social, charitable or community-based objectives
Disclosure and Barring Service
The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) helps employers make safer recruitment decisions and prevent unsuitable people from working with vulnerable groups, including children. It replaces the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) and Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA).
- Disclosure and Barring Service information and form
- Standard Constitution model
- Havering compact
Standard policy templates
- Health and Safety policy template
- Equal Opportunities policy template
- Child Protection policy template
- Model of Code of Conduct
For further enquiries, contact the Corporate and Community Resilience Team.