Moving home and compensation

If you are currently living on one of the estates identified for regeneration, you may be required to move home before construction begins.

Council tenants will be rehoused in a home that meets your housing need. In order to ensure all your needs are taken into account. Our Regeneration Officers are available to assist residents with the completion and update of assessment forms. All Council tenants will be entitled to 2 suitable offers of accommodation that meet their housing need and will be support through the moving process.

Tenants in PSL properties will be contacted by the Council’s Rehousing Team and assisted with finding  alternative accommodation. Tenants may be rehoused in another PSL property of in the private sector. Decisions will be made on a case by case basis to ensure suitable accommodation offered.

Private tenants will be contacted by the Council’s Housing Advice Service, who, along with your landlord will assist you with finding alternative accommodation.

Leaseholders and freeholders will be able to sell their properties to the Council at full market value, assessed by an independent valuer, to allow you to repurchase elsewhere in the borough. Our Home Ownership Officer will be available to support you through this process.

The Tenant Incentive Scheme (TIS) is also available for eligible Council Tenants who are willing to give up their tenancy to buy a house in the private sector. These payments can be up to £30,000. 

Compensation available

Home Loss Payments - Qualifying residents that have to move because of the Housing Regeneration Programme may be entitled to a Home Loss Payment of £6,100. Payments will be paid 2-3 weeks after the keys are returned to the Council from the former property. Any recharges or monies owed to the Council will be deducted from this payment before it is made. 

How to avoid recharges when moving home leaflet

Disturbance Payments - Eligible residents are able to make a claim to cover costs reasonably incurred in moving and/or purchasing a new property. The amount paid is based on individual need and will only be paid once we receive proof of purchase ie an invoice or receipt.

Downsizing Payments - If you are moving to a home with less bedrooms you may also be eligible for a payment through the under occupancy scheme.

Your Regeneration Officer will be available to discuss this with you on an individual basis. For more information visit our Money for council tenants moving into a smaller property page.

How would you rate this page?

Rate this page

Thank you for rating this page.
You can also choose to leave us feedback.