Draft Children and Young People Education Place Planning Plan

We are consulting on the Draft Children and Young People Education Place Planning Plan 2023 – 2027, which also includes the Draft Childcare Sufficiency Report, until 15 May 2023. You can pick up a consultation questionnaire from any library or children’s centre or you can view the draft documents and have your say online

Help a child in care

Published: Wednesday, 5 August 2020

Volunteers are urgently being sought to befriend young people in care who are living outside the borough.

Known as Independent Visitors, the volunteers act in the interest of children and young people in care and are independent of children’s services.

They meet up every three to four weeks to do an activity of the young person’s choice.

Councillor Robert Benham, Havering’s Cabinet Member for Children, Education and Families, said:

“Occasionally we have to place children outside of the borough and they are located long distances away for a variety of reasons. We’re urgently looking for volunteers who will travel to meet these young people, to form consistent relationships and provide the support that they need.

“Experience isn’t key, but the right personality and an interest in supporting a young person is.”

The reasons for the young people living outside the borough are numerous – some have asked to move, while others have been moved to suit their personal needs.

Volunteers will be expected to travel to different parts of the country and they will need to commit to the role for at least 18 months.

Volunteers will gain invaluable skills and experience while helping to make a real difference to the young person.

Full training and regular supervision will be provided and expenses will be reimbursed.

For an informal discussion about the role please contact Alison Day on 01708 434111 or alison.day2@havering.gov.uk