10 top tips to #StaySafe
With winter comes long, dark evenings and many busy celebrations that can attract potential thieves. So here are a few tips to help you stay safe at home during the dark evenings.
- Don’t tempt the burglars – make sure valuables are not in view from the outside
- Avoid discussing where you are and if you are alone on social media, especially if you are travelling at night
- A dark house is a green light to burglars so install an automatic timer-switch
- Make sure any spare keys aren’t in sight
- If you are walking home alone plan your route using well lit areas
- Avoid sharing your location on social media
- Always check who’s at the door and don’t open it if you feel anxious
- If you are a driver, always park in a well-lit area
- If you are shopping, ensure your valuables are out of sight – the most common item stolen is a mobile phone so put it in your bag if you can’t close your pocket.
- If shopping online visit: www.met.police.uk for online security tips
For more information and advice visit the metropolitan police website.