Disabled relief

If you or someone who lives with you is disabled you may be entitled to a reduction in your Council Tax. For example if your property is in band D, you will only have to pay the charge for band C. 

The scheme applies to all types of properties, including care homes and hostels.

The property must be the main home of at least one person with a disability. This can be an adult or child. It doesn’t have to be the person responsible for paying Council Tax.

To qualify for a lower Council Tax band the property must have been modified to provide one of these:

  • an extra bathroom or kitchen for the disabled person to use
  • enough room for a wheelchair to be used at all times inside the property
  • a room that is mainly used to meet the needs of the disabled person

The band reduction will only remain in place for as long as the disabled person occupies the property as their main residence.

Your property will need to be inspected by us, in all cases, to make sure the adaptations are sufficient to qualify for a reduction. Once we receive your application an inspector will contact you to arrange a suitable time to visit.  

Apply for disabled relief

How would you rate this page?

Rate this page

Thank you for rating this page.
You can also choose to leave us feedback.