Are you eligible?
Before you apply for a council or housing association home you must first check if you meet the right criteria and then submit an application to join the housing register.
We would recommend you read our Housing Allocation Policy to see if you qualify before making a housing application.
To meet the criteria you must
- have demonstrated that you have a housing need
- have lived in the London Borough of Havering for six continuous years
- not have savings or assets of £36,000 and over or you own your own home
- not have been, or have a member of your household been, involved in unacceptable behaviour, serious enough to make you an unsuitable tenant of the Council or other housing provider
- be entitled to public funds
Housing allocations scheme
Our new Housing Allocations Scheme will be live from Monday 1 August.
The new scheme introduces some changes to the current eligibility for council housing, making it easier for local people to join the housing register.
- raising the income cap for households with one or more children to £50,000
- a new banding system focussing on applicants individual needs and contributions to the community
- applicants can now have up to £30,000 in savings and still be eligible
- introducing a free ‘Opportunities register’ for households that are not eligible, providing shared-ownership opportunities and advice for residents looking to find a permanent home
Further information on the new scheme can be found in our factsheet.