Because of government guidance on coronavirus a number of our buildings are now closed and events listed on our site are subject to change or cancellation. Changes to council services, advice and support we can provide, the latest local news and links to Government advice is available on our dedicated coronavirus information page. Go to our coronavirus information page

Coronavirus - Child employment and performance licences

We have stopped issuing licenses for Children in Entertainment, Child Work Permits and for Chaperones/Matrons for most performances until further notice. If the performance is for a public health information item or similar please call 01708 434600 to discuss.

Child performance licensing

Any child taking part in a performance, which can include TV or filming, theatre, sporting activity or modelling, needs a performance licence (except in certain circumstances)

When is a licence needed

  • a licence is always required if the child receives payment for the performance.
  • a licence is also required if the performance requires absence from school, even if the assignment is unpaid.
  • a licence is not required if the performance is unpaid and no school absence is required and the performance lasts for four days or fewer and the child has not performed within the previous six months.


Unless night work is involved, subject to school approval for any absence required, there is no limit on the number of days on which a child may perform.

  • a child's head or class teacher will judge whether time out of school will hamper their academic progress and must produce a written statement to appeal against the issue of a licence 
  • the child will need to be chaperoned at all times. This may be by the child's own parent or by a registered chaperone hired by the applicant


Please complete the child performance application including all the required documentation.

For further information on the relevant legislation, please see:

Child performance and activities licensing legislation in England

For further information, on performance licences for children, please contact:

How would you rate this page?

Rate this page

Thank you for rating this page.
You can also choose to leave us feedback.