Apply for or renew a Blue Badge
The Blue Badge Scheme provides a national arrangement of parking concessions for people with severe mobility problems to access goods and services, by allowing them to park close to their destination.
The scheme is open to eligible disabled people irrespective of whether they are travelling as a driver or as a passenger.
You may qualify for a blue badge automatically if you:
- are in receipt of the Higher Rate of the Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance
- are registered blind
- receive a War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement
- have been both awarded a lump sum benefit at tariffs 1-8 of the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme and certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking
- are in receipt of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) under the 'Moving Around' category, have been awarded 8 points or more, and your condition is likely to last for at least 12 months
- receive the mobility component of PIP and have obtained 10 points specifically for Descriptor E under the “planning and following journeys” activity, on the grounds that you are unable to undertake any journey because it would cause you overwhelming psychological distress.
You may still qualify if you:
- have a permanent an enduring disability, and suffer very considerable difficulty whilst walking
- experience very considerable difficulty whilst walking, which may include very considerable psychological distress, which includes:
- struggling to plan or follow a journey
- regularly has intense and overwhelming responses to situations causing temporary loss of behavioural control
- frequently becomes extremely anxious or fearful of public or open spaces
- are at risk or serious harm when walking; or pose when walking, a risk of serious harm to any other person
- drive a motor vehicle regularly, have a severe disability in both arms, and are unable to operate all or some types of parking meter (or would find it very difficult to operate them)
- have a child under three years of age and need to transport bulky medical equipment for urgent treatment, or be near a vehicle so that they can be driven to a place for treatment for a permanent illness.
Your blue badge application
- The application is completed on the GOV.UK website
- Make a note of the things you'll need before applying
- You'll be asked to check your eligibility and answer questions about your disability as you fill in the application form
- Once filled in your details will be sent to us to process.
- You will be asked to send us all the documents stated in your application within 14 days of filling in the form. Please note your application will not be completed until we have received your certified copy documents which you can upload by using our online form. You can also post them to: Blue Badges, Town Hall, Main Road, Romford RM1 3BB
- Once we have your documents we will make contact with you about the next steps to take including payment.
To complete your blue badge application you will need:
- proof of identification
- your national insurance number
- details of your current blue badge (if you have one)
- to upload a photo of yourself, if you are applying online
- to attach a signed photo, if you are applying by application form
- proof of residency
- supporting documentation
In addition to your medical evidence you can also submit a copy of your DWP award letter which may help with your assessment.
Please ensure you attach or send all pages of your award letter.
There are computers available for public use at these locations.
- Public libraries around the borough - various opening times
- Peabody office - 1st Floor, Holgate House 6, Western Road, Romford RM1 3JS - Please call 01708 776770 for opening times and directions
- Public Advice and Service Centre (PASC) - The Liberty shopping centre, Romford RM1 3RL Monday - Friday 9am - 4pm. (except bank holidays)
You can support your application by:
- attaching scanned photos of your documents to your online Gov.uk application
- attaching scanned photos of your documents through our website
- by posting certified copies to Customer Services, Town Hall, Main Road, RM1 3BB
Our guidance notes provides more information about Blue Badge applications.
Apply or renew now
Please note if you are renewing, please apply 6 to 8 weeks prior to your existing badge expiring to make sure your new badge reaches you in time if approved.
Upload your supporting documents
If we have written to you asking for you to upload your documents please use our Blue badge document upload form.
The badge may only be used when the badge holder is driving or being transported in the vehicle.
It may not be used by a friend, relative or helper even when providing a service for the disabled badge holder such as shopping unless the badge holder is travelling with them.
When the badge is used, it must be clearly displayed on the dashboard of the vehicle, with the front (showing the wheelchair user symbol) facing outwards, so that the expiry date, serial number and issuing authority are easily visible through the windscreen.
Before using the blue badge please read the rights and responsibilities leaflet issued with your badge so that you know where and how to use it correctly.
A Blue Badge lets you park on a single or double yellow line for up to 3 hours, as well as in disabled bays and some car parks provided both the badge and clock are displayed.
You can not park where a loading ban is in place or on the pavement.
If you get a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) because of the way you have parked but you feel it has been issued incorrectly, you can challenge it.
Lost or stolen Blue Badge
If your Blue Badge has been lost or stolen please complete our online form.
Need to change your details?
You can report a change of name, address, contact details or any other details relating to information held by your local authority in relation to you or the badge that has been issued to you.
Report misuse of a Blue Badge
If you see a badge being misued in any way then please complete our online form.
Blue Badge data retention
Please be aware all information and documents provided to support your application for a Blue Badge will be retained in accordance with our retention policy for a minimum of three years.