Apply for an HMO licence

The HMO licence scheme in Havering

To rent out a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) in Havering you will need a licence.

The licence you need will depend on the type, where it is, size and number of people living in the property. A licence requires you to meet the Private Rented property Licensing Accommodation Standards to keep your property safe and in good condition for you and your tenants.

There are two different types of licences.

  1. Mandatory licensing
  2. Additional licensing

See the HMO area map and designation notice

You must licence each property you rent out. 

If you do not have a valid licence you may be prosecuted and fined for each unlicensed property.

Please note, as of 1 October 2018, you must obtain a mandatory licence if you rent out a property occupied by 5 or more people from 2 or more households and contains shared facilities such as a kitchen, bathroom or toilet. You must submit your application on or before 1 October 2018, failure to do so is a criminal offence and liable for legal action and a penalty fine of up to £30,000. More information can be found on the London Property Licensing website.

HMOs and planning rules

If you want to operate a house as an HMO, it must have the correct class of planning use. You may need to change it from C3 (dwelling house) to C4 (houses in multiple occupation).

There is no guarantee that your planning application will be approved, but if you rent out your property you must have a property licence. If you are refused planning permission we cannot refund your licence fee.

Havering HMO licence application form and guide

Before starting your application please make sure you have understood what you will be applying for based on the area the property is in and the planning rules. Please also read our HMO application guide

Apply for an HMO licence 

To be able to save and return to your application form(s), please register your details once you have selected the type of licence required and before you start your application.

You may request a paper application form by contacting us by telephone on 01708 432676 or 432777 or by email at


Mandatory licence

A mandatory licence fee depends on the number of rooms in the property. Please see table below;

Number of rooms New application fee
up to 5 lettings £1115.00
6 to 9 lettings £1284.00
10 to 14 lettings £1473.00
15 to 19 lettings £1630.00
20 lettings and above £1788.00

Additional licence

An additional licence has a fixed fee of £900 and it’s usually valid for 5 years.

  Standard rate (applicable from 1 March 2018)
Part A £550
Part B * £350
Total (with accreditation) £865
Total (without accreditation) £900

*A 10 per cent discount on the Part B fee only is available to accredited landlords. To qualify certificates and membership numbers must be supplied at time of application

How would you rate this page?

Rate this page

Thank you for rating this page.
You can also choose to leave us feedback.