Apply for a property licence

Types of licence

There are three different types of licences:

  1. Selective licensing
    1. Designation Area of Brooklands and Romford Town Wards only, in effect from
      25 January 2021 until 24 January 2026
  2. Additional licensing
    1. Scheme 1 Designation Area in effect from 1 March 2018 until 28 February 2023
    2. Scheme 2 Designation Area in effect from 25 January 2021 until 24 January 2026
  3. Mandatory licensing
    1. From 1 October 2018, you must get a mandatory licence if you rent out a property occupied by 5 or more people from 2 or more households with shared facilities such as a kitchen, bathroom or toilet.

You must licence each property you rent out in the designated areas.

Not sure if your property is in a designated area?

Find your ward

If you do not have a valid licence you may be prosecuted and fined for each unlicensed property.

Operating an unlicensed property that requires a property licence is a criminal offence and may be punishable by prosecution of a financial penalty of up to £30,000.

More information can be found on the London Property Licensing website.

Licence fees

Selective and additional licence fees are split into two payments as set out below and it’s usually valid for 5 years.

Licence type Payment
Selective - Part A £450
Selective - Part B £450*
Total with accreditation £865
Total without accreditation £900

*A £35 discount on the Part B fee only is available to accredited landlords. To qualify certificates and membership numbers must be supplied at time of application.

Mandatory licence

A mandatory licence fee depends on the number of rooms in the property. Please see table below.

Number of rooms New application fee
up to 5 lettings £1149.00
6 to 9 lettings £1323.00
10 to 14 lettings £1517.00
15 to 19 lettings £1679.00
20 lettings and above £1842.00

Additional licence

An additional licence has a fixed fee of £900 and it’s usually valid for 5 years.

  Standard rate
Part A £550
Part B * £350
Total (with accreditation) £865
Total (without accreditation) £900

*A 10 per cent discount on the Part B fee only is available to accredited landlords. To qualify certificates and membership numbers must be supplied at time of application.

Licensing actions applicable fees

The table below contains details of charges applied depending on the actions / results of your licence(s).

Action Applicable Fee
Revocation of licence No additional fee (no refund)
Application to licence following revocation of licence Application fee
Application refused by the council Part A Application fee with no refund
Application withdrawn by the applicant Application fee with no refund
Application made in error e.g. duplicate Refund of any fees paid
Properties that cease to be licensable during the licensing process Part A Application fee with no refund

Property licence fee refunds policy

We will give you a refund if:

  • you have made a duplicate application
  • you made an application for an exempted property by mistake

Please note if a refund is agreed, we will only refund to the original payee by the same method of payment used eg via original credit card used. 

We will not give you a refund if: 

  • we refuse your application but we will not take the second (Part B) fee
  • you sell or stop letting your property because the initial fee (Part A) is non-refundable once the application is submitted but if the property ceases to be licensable before a draft licence is issued, the Part B fee will not be taken
  • you withdraw your application (other than for the reasons stated above)
  • you have had a Prohibition Notice served on the property 
  • we revoke (take away) your licence 
  • you change your mind and want to change licence type from HMO to Selective 
  • you are refused planning permission for an Additional or Mandatory HMO 

Our fees are not connected to the length of a licence. If you cancel your licence before it expires, we cannot give you a refund for any unused time.

Any unusual situations which may arise will be considered by the enforcement panel on a case by case basis.

Havering licence application form and guide

Before starting your application please make sure you have understood what you will be applying for based on the area the property is in and the planning rules. Please also read our Private Rented Property Licensing Guide for Landlords and Managing Agents

Apply for a property licence

If this is your first application, you will first need to create an account (this system is not connected to your ‘My Havering’ account). Once this has been created, you can use the same ID and password for all of your rental properties.

A welcome email will be sent after you create an account, with a link to set your password. If you do not receive this email within a few minutes, please check your Spam or Junk folder before contacting the licensing department for assistance.

Please note that due to the large number of licenses received, it may take longer than normal to issue your licence.

You may continue to rent your property before the licence is issued as long as your application has been submitted, but if you have an urgent need, such as applying for a mortgage or for a court case, please let us know at the email below.

Apply for a licence

You may request a paper application form by contacting us by telephone on 01708 432006 or 01708 432777 or by email at

The selective licence scheme in Havering

To rent a house or flat to a single family or 1-2 unrelated occupants in the Brooklands or Romford Town wards, you require a selective licence from 25 January 2021.

The additional and mandatory HMO licence scheme in Havering

To rent out a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) in Havering you will need a licence.

The licence you need will depend on the type, where it is, size and number of people living in the property.

A licence requires you to meet the Private Rented property Licensing Accommodation Standards to keep your property safe and in good condition for you and your tenants.

Please note that we do not provide free surveys or advice to landlords and may not carry out a property inspection before issuing a licence. If you require a pre-application visit and advice an extra charge may be made for this service.

It is the responsibility of landlords / licence holders to make sure the HMO meets the required fire safety and facility standards and is free from serious hazards or disrepair.

Information on the minimum recommended fire safety requirements in HMOs can be found in the LACORS guidance.

HMOs and planning rules

If you want to operate a house as an HMO, it must have the correct class of planning use. You may need to change it from C3 (dwelling house) to C4 (houses in multiple occupation).

There is no guarantee that your planning application will be approved, but if you rent out your property you must have a property licence. If you are refused planning permission we cannot refund your licence fee.

How would you rate this page?

Rate this page

Thank you for rating this page.
You can also choose to leave us feedback.