Coronavirus - Financial advice for you

Havering helps page header banner

Havering Helps - Emergency Assistance Scheme

We run an emergency assistance scheme with our partners DABD where you can get financial support with clothes, goods, bills and food.

Apply for support through the Havering Helps - Emergency Assistance Scheme on the DABD website

Havering Test and Trace Support Payment

You are required by law to self-isolate if you test positive for Covid 19 or are contacted by NHS Test and Trace.

To be considered for a payment you have to be working and meet all the following criteria when you have been instructed to isolate.

  1. Live in the London Borough of Havering.
  2. Have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace.
  3. Be employed (not furloughed) or self-employed.
  4. Be unable to work from home and will lose income as a result.
  5. Be currently receiving Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-based Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and/or Pension Credit.
  6. Be making a claim within 14 days of the last day of your self-isolation.

If you think you meet all the eligibility criteria, please go to the DABD website and fill in the Test and Trace Support Payment Form. 

Go to the DABD Test and Trace Support Payment Form

Support if you are a solo trader

The Solo Trader Grant Scheme providers extra support to Havering residents who are ‘Solo Traders’ whilst they are legally required to isolate.

Go to our Solo Trader Grant Scheme page for details and to apply

Between term school meal support

General support

Please talk to us first to get support as we can make sure you can access advice and action that can alleviate some of the worry.

You’ll find lots of information on our benefits pages.

Go to our benefits pages

Council tenants

If you’re a council tenant and you don’t think you’re going to be able to pay your rent, you can claim Universal Credit straight away.

Please make sure you contact us so that we can provide help and advice to prevent debt which may become unmanageable in the future.

Private tenants

The same advice applies for private tenants; make a Universal Credit claim.

If you’re unable to afford your rent, speak to your landlord as soon as possible.

In order to relieve a lot of worry however, the Government has announced emergency legislation to suspend new evictions from social or private rented accommodation during the coronavirus crisis.

Council Tax support to help you

If you pay Council Tax, and you cannot afford to make payments due to coronavirus please contact us immediately to discuss. We can help.

Go to our Council Tax pages

You can also call 01708 433997.

For working age tax payers, Council Tax Support may reduce your bill by up to 80 per cent.

If you think it’s unlikely you will be eligible for Council Tax Support, please contact us anyway as we can still help you.

We are also accepting applications for longer-term payment plans to help our residents. 

Go to our Council Tax Support pages to apply

You can also call 01708 433996.

Council tax discretionary hardship payments will be available for residents made economically vulnerable residents by coronavirus. 

Apply for a discretionary hardship payment

General finances

There are many things you can do to ensure you don’t fall into debt during this period, including budgeting, contacting your creditors to see which options are available to you and applying for benefits which you’re entitled to. 

Coronavirus is causing a huge amount of uncertainty for everyone, with many concerned about the impact it is going to have on their finances. 

If you’re concerned we recommend you look into all of the options available, to see what you’re eligible for and what suits your personal situation, such as: 

You may also find that using a budget planner, such as this from the Money Advice Service, can help you to gain a better understanding of your current situation, and how to manage your outgoings during this time of change to ensure your bills are still being paid. 

If you find that your income still doesn’t meet your outgoings, then there are a number of ways that you can manage your bills during this time, such as: 

  • taking a mortgage payment holiday
  • talking to your creditors if you think you’re going to miss payments
  • checking your insurance policies to see if it covers situations such as this 
  • contact your energy and water providers if you’re unable to pay to see if they have special measures in place to help

Further information and advice

How would you rate this page?

Rate this page

Thank you for rating this page.
You can also choose to leave us feedback.