Decide which schools to apply for

Find a school in your area by searching on our Directory of schools in Havering.

When it comes to selecting a school, find out as much information as you can. Read the school's brochure and visit the school's website for detailed information on things such as its policies, achievements, key stage 2 and GCSE results.

It is also very important you look at the school's admission arrangements. These will help you assess the likelihood of your child being offered a place if there are more applicants than places available or if the school has a waiting list.

The local authority is responsible for setting admission arrangements and for allocating places at community and voluntary controlled schools. For academies and foundation, trust and voluntary aided schools it is the governing body of each school which is responsible for setting admission arrangements and for allocating school places. Check what type a school is by using our Directory of schools in Havering.

Many schools prioritise applicants according to the distance between the child's home address and the school and so it may also be helpful to check the distance from your home to a school.

If you would like to visit schools you are considering please contact the schools directly.

Types of school

Children in Havering can go to an infant school (between the ages of 4 and 7), a junior school (between the ages of 7 and 11), a primary school (between the ages of 4 and 11) or a secondary school (between the ages of 11 and 16 or 11 and 18).

In Havering, we have the following types of school:

Academies – are independent of the local authority and funded directly by the Department for Education. An academy can set its own curriculum.

Community – are maintained by the local authority.

Foundation – are state-funded school run by its own governing body.

Free school – a type of academy set up by a group, such as parents, teachers, charities, community groups and businesses.

Trust – a type of foundation school, which forms a charitable trust with an outside partner.

Voluntary aided – are maintained by the local authority but strongly supported by the church authorities (usually Church of England or Catholic).

Voluntary controlled – are maintained by the local authority but with close links with the church authorities. Some of the governing body is appointed by the religious foundation. 

How would you rate this page?

Rate this page

Thank you for rating this page.
You can also choose to leave us feedback.