Online services maintenance on Sunday 24 September 2023

Between 8am and 7pm on Sunday 24 September a number of online systems such as your Council Tax account, planning searches, committee meeting papers and the My Havering account area will be unavailable because of essential maintenance. A number of our online forms will also be unavailable. We apologise for any inconvenience.


We are responsible for the trees that we own. This generally means trees on roads and pavements and trees in parks.

We will also speak to private land owners where their trees are causing hazards to the public, such as blocking a street sign or light.

Trees on the streets we look after

Trees are inspected on three or five year cycles and pruned when needed. Sometimes trees do not need pruning. The work we do is suitable for the type of tree and is not harmful to the tree.

We also:

  • carry out work on damaged trees if they have branches hanging off or that have fallen off
  • inspect trees that are damaging a property
  • manage damaged, diseased or dying trees
  • prune trees that are blocking sight lines for cars
  • prune trees that are blocking street lights

Sometimes we will prune a number of trees on a certain road or street but one may be left unpruned. This could be because cars are in the way or birds are nesting. If this happens we return and prune when we are able.

Because we prioritise safety issues first we apologise for any delays to requests for other types of tree work.

Report a tree problem

Trees damaging the pavement

If trees are damaging the pavement please complete our road and pavement form.

Report damage to the road or pavement

Trees on Council estates

Trees on our estates are managed by the Homes and Housing team. If you have a query regarding these trees, please complete our ask Housing form.

Ask Housing

Tree removal

We will sometimes remove a tree. Our tree removal list is updated with tree removals and the reason why they were removed.

We will aim to add these locations to future planting schemes to ensure no net loss of trees in Havering.

Our tree strategy

A revised draft tree strategy is currently under review prior to publication.

Havering Council recognises a number of issues as being a normal part of living with trees and therefore it is our stance to not normally seek to undertake any pruning works or removal for reasons such as (but not limited to):  

  • falling detritus such as (but not limited to) leaves, sap, fruits, nuts, seeds, blossom, pollen, bird droppings
  • reduced or increased moisture to gardens
  • germinating seeds from council owned trees
  • blocked or obstructed gutters or flat roofs from tree deposits and leaves
  • loss or interference with TV or satellite signal reception 
  • loss of sunlight or manmade lighting;
  • blocking or obstruction of a view from a residence or blocking or shading of solar arrays
  • minor footway or road surfacing disturbances
  • unsubstantiated claims of damage

How would you rate this page?

Rate this page

Thank you for rating this page.
You can also choose to leave us feedback.