Traveller education

Gypsy, Roma and Travellers

A number of different groups are covered by the generic term Traveller – Roma, English and Welsh Gypsies, Irish and Scottish Travellers, Showmen (fairground people) and Circus people, Bargees (occupational boat dwellers) and New Travellers.

Traveller families are able to travel for occupational purposes.

To help ensure continuity of education for Traveller children, it is expected that the child should be dual registered and attend school elsewhere when their family is travelling.

Children from these groups whose families do not travel are expected to register at a school and attend as normal.

They are subject to the same rules as other children in terms of the requirement to attend school regularly once registered at a school.

Apply for a school place in Havering