Appeal against a parking ticket or traffic fine
If you feel that the fine was incorrectly issued, or that there are special circumstances in your case, you may make an appeal against your fine (Penalty Charge Notice).
If we receive your challenge within the discounted period the discounted charge will be offered to you again if we are unable to cancel the Penalty Charge Notice.
You must pay for your parking ticket within 28 days (beginning on the date that the Penalty Charge Notice is served) to avoid additional charges.
Do not pay if you want to appeal and if your appeal is accepted, the charge will be cancelled.
How to appeal
- Have your PCN reference number, contravention code and vehicle registration ready to proceed.
- Select either 'Appeal against a parking ticket left on your vehicle' if the PCN was left on your vehicle or 'Appeal against your ticket or fine' if the PCN was sent to your address by post.
- Enter the PCN and contravention code numbers when prompted.
- A number of common reasons for appeal will be presented. Use them to see if you will be likely to succeed with an appeal.
- Decide to pay the PCN by clicking on the 'Pay' link or appeal the PCN by clicking on the 'Challenge' link.
- If appealing via the 'Challenge' link you will be taken to our appeals system. If the PCN has been left on your vehicle you will be taken to the 'Informal challenge form' where you will need to enter the PCN number and vehicle registration. If the PCN was sent to your address by post you will be taken to the 'Formal representation form' where you will need to enter the PCN number, vehicle registration and the web code from the letter.
We have up to 56 days to process your appeal and we will write to you once it has been processed. If you want to upload any supporting evidence on the appeal form then please make sure what you upload is under 2mb in file size.
About the web codes we send
Web codes are for the formal representation stage of the process and are sent by letter if the PCN is issued in that way (eg for a bus lane fine) or you have moved from an informal challenge (PCN on your car window) to formal challenge as part of the appeals process. Also, if you have received a 'charge certificate' then the web code won't work.
Need a web code?
If you have lost or are yet to be sent a web code please use our PCN enquiry form to let us know.
If the PCN has been left on your vehicle
If the PCN was sent to your address by post
You can also read our PCN discretionary policy document outlining the criteria we use to enforce or cancel your PCN.
Appealing a rejected informal challenge
If you want to dispute the PCN after the rejection of your informal challenge please see your letter of rejection for details about what to do next.